Saturday, November 7, 2015

[ENG] Homemade Vanilla Extract - The Taste Test

About 5 months ago i did a little "experiment" on making homemade vanilla extract using vodka and some vanilla beans (if you haven't read the blogpost, please read here). Actually i just had to wait for 2 months for the extract to be ready but i totally forgot about them and 5 month passed... lol But it's all good since the recipe tells me that i can "age" them as long as i want and it'll get better & more infused with the vanilla flavor.  

So, here are my 5-month-old homemade vanilla extracts.... (i used different vanilla beans for each jar)

Compared with the store bought vanilla extract (the middle one). It's actually Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract (repackaged) that i bought from local online store. My homemade ones look darker on the outside. 

But when i spooned it out, the color is not as dark, and just about the same shade as the nielsen one. I also compared the smell and the homemade ones smell kinda like alcohol with a little bit of vanilla while the nielsen one smells vanilla sweet.

And finally the taste test!! I should've made some vanilla cakes to test them but i was just too lazy haha.. So i made some pancakes instead. You can see the recipe here. I divided the pancake batter into 2 bowls and i put the nielsen vanilla on one bowl and the other with my homemade vanilla and just cooked the pancakes.

Time to taste them! 
Honestly, the pancakes with the  nielsen-massey vanilla still taste better. I even tried doubling the amount of my homemade vanilla in the batter, but the nielsen pancakes still taste better :( Well it's kinda disappointing, but i think i need to run another taste test (with vanilla cake!) just to make sure if they still quite usable or just completely useless. And i'll update the post with another taste test! But probably not too soon, i'm just not in the mood of doing anything with these extracts haha!  
And I got half bottle of vodka left! So maybe i'll make something with it since i can't really drink it on it's own. I actually searched for recipes while typing this and vodka jelly & vodka gummy bears seem interesting! *-*

No comments:

Post a Comment